I opened the lid and found that my ventilation board with my electronics in it was nicely stuck to the top of the lid. There must have been some propolis left on the underside of the lid and it works really nicely as glue. I spent a few minutes trying to remove the ventilation form and when I finally removed it, I notice a LARGE, furry black spider resting comfortably on the underside of the lid. Thankfully I was armed with a steel hive tool and dispatched the menace quickly. I really dislike spiders but I also know they do eat "bad" insects, so I try to leave them alone when I spot them in the garden. But when they are around my bees I show now mercy! I'm sure beekeepers in Arizona, Florida or Australia can get some really nasty surprises around their hives. Yikes.
Anyway, after all that drama, I pulled the SD memory card from the Arduino and downloaded the data. My first disappointment was that it appeared that it only logged about 3 days worth of data. It appears my 6 AA battery pack didn't last very long at all. I'll be looking into an alternate power source for sure now.
|Arduino Smart Hive data|
With that said, it was cool to see that the general data collection does work! From the data it looks like the external sensor might be a little flaky since the humidity spiked at 100% a number of times and the temperature measured at 103.82 F on June 2, 3:22 PM. According to the weather report on that day, the highest it hit was 82 F. Other than that oddity, the data looks consistent. What I really like seeing are the readings from the brood area. The temperature reading is a very flat, steady line, right around 95 F. Despite what the outside temperature is, they do a fantastic job of maintaining the same temperature and humidity levels where the baby bees are being raised.
Pulling the first two frames from the hive, I saw they were still empty. The third frame in was built much wider because of the empty space next to it. With the top down view in the photo below, you can see how the wax sticks out past the top bar of frame 3.
The first thing I noticed after removing the inner cover of White Hive was that I could see bees looking up from between almost every frame! This hive in increasing in numbers more quickly than Green Hive for sure.
|Looking into White Hive|
|Lots of future bees|
The last thing I did before concluding the inspection, was to change the entrance reducers on both hives from the small opening to the medium sized opening. The population should be steadily increasing now on both hives so they should have no trouble defending a larger entrance. This will also help alleviate any congestion as the foragers come and go all day long.
Looks like I have a lot to prepare for the next inspection. New boxes to add and hopefully another way to power my Arduino. So, until then thanks for reading!